Chelsea Kaplan’s Musings About Life... After Birth

ALeapYearbirthday:discuss

Posted by Chelsea on February 28, 2008

So, I’ve been walking around 3 cm dilated and about 80% effaced for weeks now. At my appointment last Tuesday, my OB again tried to talk me into a March 6th induction. I’d still prefer to roll the dice and let it happen when it happens, so that’s what I’m doing. She seems to think this kid will come within a week or so, and judging by all of the little contractions I’ve been having, I have to agree with her. In fact, I doubt I’ll make it through the weekend.

My husband thinks it would be WAY cool if the baby came on Friday, February 29th, and many members of the Momtourage agree. Both Alison and Lee think said birthday would be a cool “conversation piece”. Personally, I think it would kinda suck, having your real “birthday” exist as the Olympics and Presidential elections do, only once every four years. Momtourage members Stephanie and my mom are more of this opinion.

Ultimately, though, I feel like birth dates aren’t that big of a deal. Sure, it would be nice to have one that allows everyone to celebrate with you, blah blah blah, but in the grand scheme of things, the date on which you’re born, at least in my opinion, is really an insignificant matter. I know it sounds cliché , but really, I just wish for a healthy baby and easy delivery - who cares about the date on which it happens?

A woman I used to be friends with lamented for quite some time after she got pregnant with #2 on her first try, disappointed that her immediate success meant that the kid would be due at the end of December. She found this ultra bummerific, citing that its birthday would always be overshadowed by the holidays and she would therefore have a tough time getting people to come to its birthday parties. And as if this wasn’t silly/annoying enough,  she chose to express all of this disappointment in front of me, her (at the time, at least) fertility-challenged friend, and another pal who had recently miscarried. “Nice priorities, not to mention nice friend” my best friend Jessica said when I told her about this. “Who the hell really cares that much about a birthday?” Apparently, she did.

The way I see it, if my kid is born healthy on 2/29, then Halle-freakin-lujah. I sure as hell hope the most unfortunate thing that ever happens to him is being born on a slightly odd date. Another boy who looks exactly like my husband, however…..that would really unnerve me.

Tags This entry has not been tagged yet.

Comments

Picture of Wendi Wendi on February 28, 2008 at 11:34am

WOW, nice “friend”. I would have hit her!<BR><BR>I think the 29th would be sort of neat. Every 4 years, you could really do it up, and think, when you’re 40, you are really only 10!

Picture of Jennifer F. Jennifer F. on February 28, 2008 at 5:13pm

I can see it being sad for a kid who is young, but when you’re older than 10 or so, you’d probably be over it. I agree with you, though…it’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of life.

Picture of Pam in OK Pam in OK on February 28, 2008 at 5:59pm

My birthday is on 9/11. When people comment on how unfortunate that is, I think of all the people who perished that day, or lost loved ones. That is the true tragedy, not the fact that my birthday falls on that day.<BR><BR>Good luck to you and baby number two - no matter when it is born!

Picture of Anonymous Anonymous on February 28, 2008 at 8:52pm

With friends like that….what an idiot! Get a grip, lady!

Picture of Anonymous Anonymous on February 28, 2008 at 10:36pm

Check out today’s Washington Post kids section.  Photo of adorable girl with 2/29 birthday—she loves it!

My hubs has a friend who is a leap year baby.  Clearly, the most important thing as you say is having a healthy kid and easy delivery.  But other bummers (most of which sort out by the time you’re in your 20s) include having to wait until March 1 for your driver’s license and 21st birthday, if those events fall in non-leap years.  Obviously, March 1 is still the day after Feb. 28, but psychologically it seems that much farther away…

Picture of Anonymous Anonymous on March 19, 2008 at 10:49am

I enjoy reading your blogs and I wish you congratulations on the birth of your son- I have been able to recently catch up on past blogs and I usually respect your comments and thoughts but I strongly disagree with with the commments about your “old friend” and her december baby- to me somebody like that is extremely self-LESS b/c they do not want their child to feel slighted around a time a year that can get so hectic and crazy!  I have a few friends (myself included) that have december babies that feel the same way- this “friend” seems to be the exact opposite of an idiot (according to other resonses)- in fact this is a friend I would of considered a treasure with a kind heart

Picture of ray ban 3310 ray ban 3310 on October 9, 2008 at 9:00am

But even if the birthday is on 29, still is a good conversation theme and always cause of controversy!

Picture of seo services seo services on September 9, 2009 at 6:36pm

One of my friend’s birthday is on 29 Feb, and none else could imagine how desperately we all wait for it.

Picture of Baby Baby on September 25, 2009 at 5:26am

Сайт очень качественный. Вручить бы Вам награду за него или просто почетный орден. smile

Picture of amery buck .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on January 8, 2010 at 2:19am

Nice post about leap year birthday. I like your blog very much because it has very interesting articles of different topics like 642-067 dumps, 642-357 dumps and 642-359 dumps and their tips and tricks. I am a very big googler and search on different topics. Between searching i found your nice blog. Thanks for your this great blog.

Name:

Email:

Website:

Preview Your Comment:

Remember my personal information

Notify me of follow-up comments?

Submit the word you see below:

Subscribe to The Momtourage’s regular features

Click on the icon below to get The Momtourage™ content updates through your feed reader whenever we update our site.

Learn more about RSS feeds.

Blog Feed

Check Chelsea out on XM Radio!
    My Current Obsessions
    • The Kiefer CottageThe Kiefer Cottage
      Meet the Kiefers: a quirky, lovable family of five on a quest to transform their 1940s Kansas City bungalow into the house of their dreams. The budget is small, the dreams are big, the creativity is inspiring. Check them out - you can thank us later. Happy reading, everybody!
    • Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day® All Purpose CleanerMrs. Meyer’s Clean Day® All Purpose Cleaner
      I don't understand gals who claim to loooove cleaning. That said, I do get a certain joy from using Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day® All Purpose Cleaner to care for my home. You can't lose with this stuff...it is hard-working & earth-friendly, and will leave your abode smelling like a day spa instead of a chemical spill. Try Lemon Verbena in the kitchen and Basil in the bathroom. At only $7.99 a bottle, you can afford to pick up both!
    • True BloodTrue Blood
      Um, does this even need a caption? Doubtful, but let me just say that this is the hottest hour on television. Vampires are seriously sexy (especially Eric), and on this show you get to see a lot of them--if you get what I mean. Put the kids to bed and flip the channel to HBO on Sundays at 9 p.m. to taste the fun that is True Blood.
    • Valentino Bow Thong SandalsValentino Bow Thong Sandals
      So comfy and feminine, I know I'd wear them all summer. But dang, that much money for jellies? Possibly worth the splurge. $275, nordstrom.com
    • New Balance Kids’ Sneakers in wide sizesNew Balance Kids’ Sneakers in wide sizes
      My boys have wide feet, which means finding cute shoes for them is tough. These, however, rock. Prices vary, visit nbwebexpress.com to purchase.
    • Zoya “Laurie” Nail PolishZoya “Laurie” Nail Polish
      This sheer pink polish is, without question, the PERFECT nude pink. Plus, the polish is free of formaldehyde, toluene, camphor and dibutyl phthalate (read: yucky crap that isn't really safe for prego gals). $6, enailsupply.com.