Chelsea Kaplan’s Musings About Life... After Birth
Posted by Chelsea on August 26, 2011
I just got back from our (quite large and well-stocked) local hardware store where they were completely sold out of batteries and flashlights. I guess Hurricane Irene hysteria is fully upon us here in the DC metro area. Aside from picking up a little extra non-perishable food, I haven't really done a whole lot to prepare. Am I being dumb? We will likely lose power for a while, but aside from fretting about what the heck I will do to entertain my kids, I am not completely freaking out. I just kinda feel like we'll weather this storm as we have others, no pun intended.
I recently received an article that made me consider that if I were breastfeeding right now, I would probably need to plan a bit more in the wake of this impending weather crisis. In it, Gina Ciagne, CLC and Senior Director of Breastfeeding Relations at Lansinoh Laboratories, offers a checklist for breastfeeding moms to consider when faced with a possible power outage. Some of Gina's advice includes:
- Keep a cooler of dry ice on hand just in case your electricity goes out and you have frozen milk stored in your freezer.
- Have extra batteries on hand in case your electricity goes out and you need to use your pump.
- Familiarize yourself with hand expression in case you don't have batteries and need to pump. Remember that the baby is the best way to remove your milk, so even if you are predominantly a pumper and breastfeed sporadically in an emergency situation, you should focus on feeding the baby on demand. You can also use a manual pump.
You can view Gina's full list on OnCloudMom.com in the event that you need to be prepared for whatever Irene blows our way!
Click on the icon below to get The Momtourage™ content updates through your feed reader whenever we update our site.
- The Kiefer Cottage
Meet the Kiefers: a quirky, lovable family of five on a quest to transform their 1940s Kansas City bungalow into the house of their dreams. The budget is small, the dreams are big, the creativity is inspiring. Check them out - you can thank us later. Happy reading, everybody!
- Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day® All Purpose Cleaner
I don't understand gals who claim to loooove cleaning. That said, I do get a certain joy from using Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day® All Purpose Cleaner to care for my home. You can't lose with this stuff...it is hard-working & earth-friendly, and will leave your abode smelling like a day spa instead of a chemical spill. Try Lemon Verbena in the kitchen and Basil in the bathroom. At only $7.99 a bottle, you can afford to pick up both!
- True Blood
Um, does this even need a caption? Doubtful, but let me just say that this is the hottest hour on television. Vampires are seriously sexy (especially Eric), and on this show you get to see a lot of them--if you get what I mean. Put the kids to bed and flip the channel to HBO on Sundays at 9 p.m. to taste the fun that is True Blood.
- Valentino Bow Thong Sandals
So comfy and feminine, I know I'd wear them all summer. But dang, that much money for jellies? Possibly worth the splurge. $275, nordstrom.com
- New Balance Kids’ Sneakers in wide sizes
My boys have wide feet, which means finding cute shoes for them is tough. These, however, rock. Prices vary, visit nbwebexpress.com to purchase.
- Zoya “Laurie” Nail Polish
This sheer pink polish is, without question, the PERFECT nude pink. Plus, the polish is free of formaldehyde, toluene, camphor and dibutyl phthalate (read: yucky crap that isn't really safe for prego gals). $6, enailsupply.com.
- A response to Ron Clark’s “What teachers really want to tell parents”
- Apparently My Husband Thinks in Sci-Fi
- Monday Again?
- The Momtourage Remembers
- How to Sound Smarter When You Write: Free Lesson
- What Should Your Child Know? Spot On Wisdom.
- Hurricane prep you might not have considered…...
- How to Lose a Guy in Nine Ways (Ideas you just might want to pass on to your daughters!)
- Mommy Merit Badges
- Ask the Experts
- Mother's Day
- Blog stuff
- Life in the 'Hood
- Contests and Giveaways
- DC Stuff
- Election 2008
- Environmental Awareness
- Funny Stuff
- Health and Safety
- In the News
- Interesting Articles
- Kidding Around
- Monday Mom Must-Haves
- My Boys
- New Baby
- New York City
- Parents Who Rock
- Pop Culture Commentary
- Radio Appearances
- Stuff for Baby
- Television Commentary
- The Madness of Motherhood